Achieve Inc. is the organization developing the New Generation Science Standards. These will be the new National Standards for Science.
Click here to view the Achieve website.
A summary of information regarding the Science Standards from a listserve:
- The Common Core refers to the Standards for ELA and Math.
- The Common Core contains Literacy Standards for Social Studies/History, Science and Technical Subjects.
- There is a section showing how Science Teachers can implement some of the skills from the ELA Standards.
- Everyone is concerned about the Common Core because it has an impact on a schools progress with students and related funding (RTTT).
- The Science Frameworks are now available from NAS. See website link above.
- The National Science Standards will be developed based on the Frameworks in a two step process.
- The National Science Standards will be called the Next Generation Science Standards.
- The NGSS are being developed by a group called Achieve, Inc. See website link above.
- Some preliminary information about the NGSS will be issued in the next few weeks, but the final version will not be available until February 2013.
- Many State Education Departments have signed on to form review committees for the NGSS as they are being developed.
- Final implementation of the NGSS cannot take place until after the final version of the NGSS are issued.
- When (and if) the NGSS are implemented it probably will have an impact on State Assessments in Science- 2014 or later.
- Its important to keep abreast of new information and make informed decisions.