Skip to main content
district home

Marcellus Fire Department responds to smoke in high school

March 5, 2017 -- The Marcellus Fire Department responded to reports of smoke in the high school at approximately 9:30 a.m. Sunday, March 5. Faulty bearings in a ventilation fan caused the unit to overheat, prompting smoke and soot to fill the girls locker room on the school's first floor and set off a smoke sensor inside the ductwork, district officials said. Firefighters set up fans to remove the smoke and cleared the scene at 11:30 a.m.

A few students and staff members involved with the high school drama club were in the building, tearing down scenery from the weekend’s performances of “Pippin,” when crews arrived. They were evacuated, along with 10 adults playing basketball. No one was injured.

The high school will be open Monday, but the affected locker room will remain closed until the space can be thoroughly cleaned, due to odors. For this reason, the school urges parents to encourage their children to bring home their gym clothes for laundering as soon as possible.

Principal John Durkee and Athletic Director Michael Free are aware of the situation and will work with physical education staff to determine an alternate location for students to use until the locker room re-opens.

Our Schools
K.C. Heffernan Elementary
C.S. Driver Middle School
Marcellus Sr. High School

Communications Office
Instructional Technology
Buildings and Grounds
Food Service
High School Guidance

About Us
Marcellus Academic Club
Staff Directory
School Report Card
Board of Education
Employment Opportunities
Use of Facilities

District Info
District Calendar
Code of Conduct
Use of Facilities
District RTI Plan
Emergency S.A.V.E. Plan
Common Core
Mandated Information
Sex Offender Registry

Staff Links
Personnel Links
Staff E-Mail
Sub Service
Teacher Verification
IEP Direct

School Messenger
SchoolTool Parent Portal
Dignity Act
Code of Conduct
New student Registration
Sex Offender Registry
How to Solve Problems
Summer School